Friday, April 4, 2008

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Baby Sweater! Cute Thing of the Week

Do you ever do that thing where you want to make something, but it's going to be time consuming? So just on a whim you check to see if someone else has already done it and bless Google someone has and they've posted it. And there's a free pattern. Yeah, that almost never actually happens. But today it did. This baby is wearing a Mystery Science Theater 3000 sweater!



Okay and obviously you can see that from the picture, but I'm pretty excited. I've been thinking for the last couple of days about the possibility of charting the MST3K silhouette. It's not for the purpose of a baby sweater. I'm thinking more along the lines of a scarf or an afghan. Charting is tricky though. I can either try to draw it freehand on graph paper or use some online software like KnitPro. Experience with KnitPro has taught me that I need a pretty good jpeg to start with and I don't have that yet.



Hence my excitement in coming across this adorable MST3K baby sweater that was created by Sara over at goingcrafty. Not only is the sweater awesome, Sara is sharing a free pdf of the chart she used and has provided a tutorial explaining how to make the baby sweater. The sweater is knit, but the chart could be used for anything your crafty brain can think of whether it be knitting, crochet, cross stitch or even my new friend the Perler Beads.

I also have to give a plug for the other free pattern Sara is offering on her site, The Jive Turkey Baby Hat. Come on, what kid wouldn't want to look back on their baby pictures thirty years from now and see themselves wearing that?

2 comments:

Geek Central Station said...

That is so cute! I love MST3K, that is so awesome. And the hat! I almost wish a had a baby to make that for. Almost.

amber said...

Forget the baby. After seeing that turkey hat, the boyfriend was asking me if I could convert it to an adult size for him. I think if I make it I'm going to make him promise that he'll actually wear it out in public...more than once. Of course, to borrow a well known turn of phrase, "you see a man wearing a hat like that, you know he ain't afraid of nothing!"