Saturday, October 18, 2008

They're Huge! And They Glow...

Everything is better when it glows in the dark, isn't it? And yes, I'm slightly obsessed with the going crafty MST3K chart because it is so versatile. In the back of my mind I still have plans for a giant tunisian crochet afghan made with this chart. I could then snuggle up in that afghan while watching MST3K and enjoying tasty beverages that are safely nestled on my new MST3K Glow-In-the-Dark coasters! These were made with yellow glow-in-the-dark perler beads and black beads. I bought a bag of 1,000 yellow beads and making these nearly used all of them. I have maybe a hundred left. I haven't put cork on the back of the coasters yet because I'm still toying with the idea of making them into fridge magnets. I like the idea of seeing their eerie glow everytime I pass by the kitchen when the lights are out.


I've discovered that with a basic digital camera and very little knowledge about photography it is very hard to take good pictures of things that glow-in-the-dark. Please excuse the blurriness of the photos, I just wanted to give everyone an idea of what the coasters look like when the lights are out. The top photo has been enhanced with Photoshop to show you the glowing effect. The second darker picture shows you what my photo looked like without any enhancements. In real life the glowing effect is quite nice and easy to see in the dark, especially if you let the coasters charge up for a few minutes in bright light.



Want to see my colourful set of MST3K coasters?

5 comments:

The Gravelcat said...

Hi Amber, a number of basic digital cameras have "night mode". Have you tried it? What it does is keep the aperture open at a wide setting for a looong second or so, letting in as much/what little light is in the room. One thing you have to remember though, is that you shouldn't move the camera too much because of the blur effect. It would help to have a tripod, or a stepladder or a handy mantelpiece nearby if the hands aren't as steady as you'd like :)

I'm so enjoying your blog!

Anonymous said...

Amber,

Wow! Spectacular! I'm married to Mary Jo Pehl and would love to have a set. Are you selling any?

Best,
RAD

amber said...

RAD, I currently don't have enough glow-in-the-dark perler beads to make another set, but I could make a colourful non-glowing set like this one

I don't sell my stuff (too busy with my other life to turn this into a full-time business), but I would happily send Mary Jo Pehl a set as a gift because I'm such a fan of her work with MST3K and Cinematic Titanic.

If you contact me again leave an e-mail address where I can contact you and maybe we can work something out. (I can delete your comment as soon as I've seen the address if you don't want the rest of the world knowing your e-mail address.)

Melisa Sriwulandari said...

Ooh, I totally love glow in the dark stuff. Actually I saw some of those glow in the dark beads some months ago but I refrained from buying them because they are so expensive!

Sherezada said...

Oh, wow! These are just too cool! I do love me some MST3K...I think this pattern is itching to be made into cross stitch. Thanks for sharing!