Friday, April 24, 2009

3-D Perler Bead Vehicles! Cute Thing of the Week

If you grew up in the 80's there's a good chance you'll find something in Doctor Octoroc's 3-D Sprite Gallery to send you on a trip down memory lane. Along with this great Perler Bead version of the A-Team van there are a number of other very cool vehicles from the much loved tv shows and movies of my childhood. I'm a huge fan of Perler Beads, but there's no way I'm ready to graduate to 3-D creations just yet, which is why I'm so taken in by these. Imagine the time and patience it would take to put them together. It's also great to see someone whose doing something with Perler Beads other than video game characters. Not that I don't adore the video game characters, it's just cool to see something different for a change.

Doctor Octoroc says he was inspired to start making these because of the 3-D puzzles he put together when he was younger. Check out the colour detail on this General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard above. It's great that he can actually achieve that level of colour blending with Perler Beads, considering they don't have that many colours to choose from. Below is the Ecto 1 car from Ghostbusters. It's been a long time since I've seen that movie, too long!

These are just a couple of my favourites from the gallery. If they've captured your attention, I highly recommend checking out the whole collection.

1 comment:

Amy S. said...

Those are pretty awesome! Way more intense than the usual flat perler bead projects that you usually see around the net. Great find!