Monday, March 29, 2010

Free Amigurumi Generator

I found this neat Amigurumi Pattern generator online that I'm inviting readers to check out. Let me know what you think if you play around with it. Basically it's a free application that allows you to generate a variety of amigurumi patterns by adjusting the size of a critter's head, neck, ears, arms, body and legs. Just click the link above to see it for yourself.

I think if I'd stumbled across this when I was first starting to make amigurumi I would have really enjoyed it. At this point I don't really feel I need a pattern generator to help me create my designs. Still I really appreciate how easy it is to use the interface. I'm thinking it would be particularly good for young crafters who know how to read a pattern and make the basic stitches of amigurumi, but may have trouble doing the math to create their own patterns. For them this would be a great intermediate step between following other people's patterns and making their own.

Looking for other free design tools? There's also the Knitpro 2.0 application, which allows you to design your own charts for knitting, tunisian crochet, and cross stitching.

Know of any other free crafting applications available online? Share your finds in the comments section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, the amigurumi pattern generator links to a 404 message. Evidently they removed the site. Otherwise, keep up the great work.